Introduction: Welcome to the comprehensive travel guide to Buxa Tiger Reserve, a pristine haven nestled in the outskirts of Siliguri, West Bengal. Known for its rich biodiversity, untouched landscapes, and elusive wildlife, Buxa Tiger Reserve offers an immersive experience for nature enthusiasts and wildlife lovers. In this travel guide, we will delve into the reserve’s introduction, historical significance, transportation options from Kolkata, the best time to visit, activities to enjoy, must-see attractions, and intriguing facts about this captivating destination.
Buxa Tiger Reserve holds a significant historical legacy, dating back to the colonial era. The reserve was once an integral part of the historic Silk Route and served as a crucial trade route between India and Bhutan. It was also a site for revolutionary activities during India’s struggle for independence. Today, the reserve stands as a testament to its historical past, preserving its natural treasures and cultural heritage.
How to Go from Kolkata by Bus or Train:
Traveling to Buxa Tiger Reserve from Kolkata is convenient and offers multiple transportation options. If you prefer traveling by bus, you can take a direct bus from Kolkata to Alipurduar, which takes approximately 10-12 hours. From Alipurduar, the reserve is easily accessible via a taxi or shared jeep ride. Alternatively, you can opt for a train journey by boarding a train from Kolkata to New Alipurduar Railway Station. From there, you can hire a taxi or take a shared jeep to reach Buxa Tiger Reserve.
Best Time to Visit:
The best time to visit Buxa Tiger Reserve is during the winter months, from November to February. The weather during this period is pleasant, with temperatures ranging from 10 to 25 degrees Celsius, making it ideal for wildlife sightings and outdoor activities. The summer months from March to May also offer pleasant weather, but it can be slightly warmer. Monsoon season should be avoided as heavy rainfall may hinder outdoor exploration.
What to Do and Watch:
Buxa Tiger Reserve offers a range of activities and wildlife experiences for visitors. Embark on exciting jungle safaris and guided treks to explore the reserve’s diverse flora and fauna. Keep an eye out for the elusive Royal Bengal Tiger, Asian elephants, leopards, and a variety of bird species. Engage in birdwatching, as the reserve is home to several endemic and migratory birds. Explore the ancient Buxa Fort, which provides panoramic views of the surrounding landscapes.
Apart from wildlife exploration, there are several attractions to visit within Buxa Tiger Reserve. Discover the enchanting Buxa Duar, a historical gateway to Bhutan that served as a strategic outpost. Explore the Jayanti River and Mahakal Caves, renowned for their natural beauty and serene surroundings. Enjoy a boat ride in the Buxa Jayanti River and witness the stunning sunset over the hills.
- Buxa Tiger Reserve is located in the eastern Himalayan foothills and covers an area of approximately 759 square kilometers, encompassing dense forests, grasslands, and hills.
- The reserve is home to a diverse range of wildlife, including the Royal Bengal Tiger, Indian Bison, Asian Elephant, Clouded Leopard, and many more.
- Buxa Tiger Reserve is a haven for birdwatchers, with over 284 recorded species of birds, including rare and endangered species like the Rufous-necked Hornbill and Beautiful Nuthatch.
- The reserve also holds cultural significance, with several tribal communities residing in the area, including the Mech, Rava, and Toto tribes, each with their unique traditions and customs.
- Buxa Tiger Reserve is a paradise for adventure enthusiasts, offering opportunities for trekking, camping, and river rafting in the nearby rivers.
In conclusion, Buxa Tiger Reserve invites you to embark on an unforgettable wildlife adventure and immerse yourself in the beauty of nature. Plan your visit to this untamed wilderness and witness the diverse flora, fauna, and cultural heritage that make Buxa Tiger Reserve a true gem in Siliguri.