Welcome to Bangriposhi, a hidden gem nestled in the lap of nature in Odisha, India. This comprehensive travel guide will take you on a journey to explore the mesmerizing landscapes, rich history, and cultural heritage of Bangriposhi. Discover the captivating history, the best ways to reach Bangriposhi from Kolkata by bus, train, or flight, the ideal time to visit, exciting activities to do, must-visit attractions, and interesting facts about this enchanting destination.
Bangriposhi holds a significant historical and cultural importance in the region. It was once a princely state ruled by the Bhanja dynasty. The place derived its name from “Bangri” meaning bangle and “Posh” meaning market. It is believed that the region was a flourishing center for bangle trade in the past. Today, it stands as a serene destination where history intertwines with the charm of nature.
How To Go from Kolkata:
- By Bus: Bangriposhi is well-connected by road, and you can reach there by taking a bus from Kolkata. Regular bus services operate from Kolkata to Baripada, the nearest town to Bangriposhi. From Baripada, you can hire a taxi or take a local bus to reach Bangriposhi. The journey takes approximately 7-8 hours, depending on the traffic and road conditions.
- By Train: The nearest railway station to Bangriposhi is Baripada Railway Station. Several trains connect Kolkata with Baripada, and from there, you can hire a taxi or take a local bus to reach Bangriposhi. The train journey takes around 5-6 hours.
- By Flight: The nearest airport to Bangriposhi is Biju Patnaik International Airport in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. From the airport, you can hire a taxi or take a pre-booked cab to reach Bangriposhi. The journey by flight takes approximately 1 hour 30 minutes.
When To Go:
The best time to visit Bangriposhi is during the winter months, from October to February. The weather during this period is pleasant and suitable for outdoor activities. Avoid visiting during the monsoon season (July to September) when heavy rainfall may hamper sightseeing. Summers (March to June) can be hot, so it is advisable to carry light and comfortable clothing if you visit during this time.
What to Do:
- Explore Simlipal National Park: Embark on a thrilling wildlife adventure by visiting Simlipal National Park, located near Bangriposhi. Home to diverse flora and fauna, including Royal Bengal Tigers, elephants, leopards, and various bird species, the park offers exciting wildlife safaris and nature trails.
- Trek to Deokund: Go on a trek to Deokund, a picturesque waterfall surrounded by lush green forests. The trekking trail offers breathtaking views and is a paradise for nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts.
- Visit Khiching: Explore the ancient town of Khiching, located near Bangriposhi. It is renowned for its historical monuments, including the majestic Khiching Temple, dedicated to Lord Kichakeshwari. Admire the intricate architecture and learn about the rich cultural heritage of the region.
What to Watch:
- Barehipani Waterfall: Witness the majestic Barehipani Waterfall, one of the highest waterfalls in Odisha. Located inside Simlipal National Park, this captivating waterfall cascades from a height of 399 meters, surrounded by lush greenery.
- Haripur: Visit Haripur, an ancient fortified palace situated near Bangriposhi, which was once the capital of the Bhanja dynasty. Explore the ruins of this historical site and marvel at its architectural grandeur.
- Meghasani Hill: Embark on a scenic hike to Meghasani Hill, located near Bangriposhi. Enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding valleys and forests from the hilltop. It is an ideal spot for photography enthusiasts and nature lovers.
- Bangriposhi Nature Camp: Experience the tranquility of nature at the Bangriposhi Nature Camp. Nestled amidst lush greenery, this campsite offers a peaceful retreat away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Enjoy camping, birdwatching, and nature walks in this serene environment.
- Joranda Falls: Visit Joranda Falls, a breathtaking waterfall located near Bangriposhi. Surrounded by dense forests, this cascading waterfall provides a refreshing escape. Spend some time soaking in the natural beauty and capturing memorable moments.
- Bangriposhi is known for its rich tribal culture and traditions. The region is inhabited by various indigenous communities, and you can witness their vibrant festivals and rituals during your visit.
- The Simlipal Biosphere Reserve, encompassing Simlipal National Park, is one of the largest tiger reserves in India. It is home to numerous endangered species, making it a significant conservation area.
- Bangriposhi offers a perfect blend of natural beauty and cultural heritage, making it an offbeat destination for travelers seeking a unique and immersive experience.
- The region is blessed with abundant natural resources, including dense forests, rivers, and waterfalls, making it an ideal destination for eco-tourism and adventure activities.
- The local cuisine of Bangriposhi reflects the flavors of Odisha, with traditional dishes like Dalma (a lentil and vegetable stew), Machha Besara (fish cooked in mustard sauce), and Chhena Poda (a delicious cheese dessert) being popular delicacies.
In conclusion, Bangriposhi in Odisha is a hidden paradise offering a serene escape amidst nature’s embrace. With its rich history, natural wonders, and cultural heritage, this offbeat destination has much to offer to discerning travelers. From exploring historical ruins to witnessing majestic waterfalls and indulging in local cuisine, Bangriposhi promises a unique and unforgettable experience. Plan your visit and immerse yourself in the tranquility and beauty of this enchanting destination.